POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Suggestions for patterned blur : Re: Suggestions for patterned blur Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for patterned blur
From: Rune
Date: 3 Jun 2000 23:13:51
Message: <3939c96f@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> I chose to have upper left be <0,1,0> and lower right
> be <1,0,0> for all of the filters which use pigments,
> so it would be easy to control the filter with an
> image_map(useful for logos, etc). If it is "centered",
> the image_map has to be translated into position.

But <0,1,0> is *lower* left! See scene in end of message.

> I really didn't even think about camera normals...
> I think the method I chose is more intuitive and easier
> to use.

When using image_maps, yes. When using ripples, spherical, boxed, and many
other patterns, no!
The normal_in_camera feature and the patterned_blur feature really are very
much alike, so I think it would be quite natural to make the alignment work
the ame way too.

> > 2) Make the amount of blur resolution-independent.
> > Blur the image based on % of width or something instead
> > of in pixels.
>
> This is certainly a good suggestion, I would have done it
> if I had thought of it...

Hmm, is it too late to change it for the next version?

> > 3) Support "non-integer blurring". Currently when you
> > use patterned blur certain bands appear because only
> > "integer pixel blurring" is supported, and not the
> > values in between.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here...the color values
> averaged together are float type, not integer. Or do
> you mean non-integer blur amounts?

Yes. You could say the radius, in pixels, of the blur.

> The patch should already do that...

See the code below. The banding is very clear (and not very nice).

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.5;

global_settings {
   post_process {
      patterned_blur {8, 0, 0, spherical
         color_map {[0 rgb 1][1 rgb 0]}
         translate <0,0,0> // upper left corner - shows banding
      }
   }
}

sky_sphere {
   pigment {
      radial rotate 90*x frequency 32
      color_map {[0.5 rgb 0][0.5 rgb 1]}
   }
}

// so POV-Ray doesn't complain about no objects in scene:
sphere{-z,.1 pigment{color 0}}

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,